Friday, June 27, 2008

Nobody Asked Me, But....

1) The dysfunctional family that is the Democratic party remains.

2) As a Clintonite, I do find myself struggling to get behind an Obama candidacy. I've thought a lot about this, and really don't understand why, apart from the fact that Hillary was simply the better candidate, simply more deserving, and simply would make the better President. I would imagine there's an element of sour grapes involved, to be sure, but that's not one of those concepts that is hitting me and making me say "that's the reason!" There's more, part of it being that Obama is such an unknown quantity and part of it that Obama didn't win the nomination so much as Hillary had it kept from her by forces who genuinely, for whatever reason, hate her.

3) That said, I do support Obama should he be endorsed at the convention as the candidate and will work for his victory.

4) To be sure, our electoral process has no problems when compared with Zimbabwe. This is a situation that cries out for Barack Obama's leadership on, since neither Nelson Mandela or Thabo Mbeki, president of South Africa, will stand in Mugabe's way, despite his tyrannically terrorist tactics. You see, Mandela, Mbeki, and Mugabe were running buddies during the apartheid era as part of the African National Congress.

5) Does anyone trust this story on its face? I sure don't.

6) Admittedly, as a citizen of the most high-pressure city in the country, this story saddens me. I don't have a problem with guns, per se. I have a problem with humans owning guns that require less instruction than getting behind the wheel of a car.

7) $140 a barrel and climbing. It could be $150 a barrel by the Fourth of July, and over $175 by the end of the summer.

8) Do the math here: if a $300 check lifts after-tax income by 5%, what does that say about wage growth in this nation?

9) Keep in mind, too, that inflation ate up roughly half of the economic bump we were supposed to get from those rebates.

10) Apparently, Ben Affleck's movie career really has tanked. Kudos to him for bravery, but points off for imitating George Clooney.