Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Erratum Literature

Believe it or not, even I make mistakes.

On Feb. 26, 2006, I wrote a post called "Race On Ice," in which I misattributed a column written about the Shani Davis/Chad Hedrick dispute in speedskating to Jay Mariotti, an altogether reprehensible character (you may have seen him on various ESPN talk panels. If you have, you know what I mean.)

Instead, credit should have gone to Christopher McIntosh on the Athens Exchange website. In the interests of correcting the record (and since several hundred of you read that piece as originally posted), I have not only corrected the original article, but have taken the liberty of posting this acknowledgement of my error and apology to Mr. McIntosh anew on the front page, rather than weasel out in archives alone.

Given Mr. Mariotti's nature, I can thoroughly understand Mr. McIntosh's distress and dismay that his words were so erroneously misattributed, and I thank him for his obvious restraint in bringing this unintended insult to my attention. As a citizen-journalist, I should have taken more care in proofreading my article (the error is glaring, as not even Mariotti would refer to himself in the third person in his own column), and as a creative force (four of the nine muses) in my own right, it's important to me that credit is given where due.

Mea culpa, Mr. McIntosh, and to my audience, I fucked up.