Friday, December 02, 2005

Pirro To Stay In Race

After Pataki Talks, Pirro Says She's Still in Race

By PATRICK D. HEALY and TIMOTHY WILLIAMS
Published: December 2, 2005
After a meeting with Gov. George E. Pataki today that heightened speculation that she would drop out of the United States Senate race, Jeanine F. Pirro emerged to say that she remains a candidate to oppose Hillary Rodham Clinton in next year's election.

The 90-minute meeting in the governor's midtown Manhattan office came after the Republican State Senate majority leader, Joseph L. Bruno, said Ms. Pirro should run for attorney general instead. Polls have shown the Republican Ms. Pirro trailing badly in the race against Senator Clinton, a Democrat. Ms. Pirro, the outgoing Westchester County district attorney, has also had a difficult time raising money.

After the meeting with Governor Pataki today, Ms. Pirro tried to put a positive spin on why members of her own party have called for her to drop her Senate candidacy.

"What's happened in the last several days is that there are people who are complimenting my abilities to run for other offices as well, and I am grateful for their belief that I can run for any office in this state," she said. "Right now, I am a candidate for the United States Senate."

Ms. Pirro declined to discuss details of the meeting, so it was not immediately clear what advice Governor Pataki gave to her.On another front involving the 2006 Republican ticket for statewide offices, Mr. Bruno met with Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on Thursday to try to persuade him to run for governor next year. An aide to Mr. Bruno cited the mayor's landslide re-election last month, but Mr. Bloomberg quickly rejected the proposal.
Interesting, this last bit.

I happened to have lunch in the governor's office building this afternoon, so I caught this press conference (big deal, two stinking cameras and a handful of reporters...I wish I'd had a tape recorder with me). She looked....frazzled, scared, and a bit morose. her body language spoke of someone who was really weary and fed up.

I don't think this is the last we've heard of this decision.

Now, I seriously doubt Bloomberg will run. I take him at his word about not seeking higher office.